The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2024-09-18, 08:47 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

TTD Site Savers Post Here! (small update)

UPDATE: we possibly have someone to update our site software. However, this may mean we need money for a second server while this happens. BUT, we still need a Site Admin. Someone needs to take over running this site and making decisions about this site. I will help you. You will not be alone (I was still around when Bradley took over). If no one takes over as a Site Admin, then this site is gone.

This is a thread for anyone who may be interested in taking over the site and keeping it alive. I'd like to only have comments here from people who would want to help keep the site open. Please do not be upset if your comment gets deleted if you are only posting here to chitchat/complain. I want to actually see only who is interested in saving the site so that they can get together and do so.

First off, I have not contacted anybody regarding taking over the site at all. Ideally, I would have one person take over as the main site admin and they can figure out where they want the site to go from here and then coordinate with the appropriate people to make it happen. The people who 'make it happen' will need PHP/MySQL knowledge and also some server knowledge.

One of the main things that needs to be figured out is exactly where to go from here. Bradley actually has a thread where he outlines some of his ideas - TTD reimagined research and ideas. I am not the right person for this since I have not kept up with software or programming since leaving vBulletin several years ago, nor have I kept up on what other music sites are doing these days.

TTD is making due right now, limping along, but it really isn't sustainable. We are running on old PHP/MySQL software and old vBulletin software. I do have newer vBulletin files to upgrade the site to use newer PHP/MySQL, but someone with PHP knowledge will need to actually go through and compare the old files to the new files, upgrade the files, and then also upgrade the PHP modifications and the tracker for the site. Someone will also have to upgrade the PHP/MySQL for the site. This is NOT an easy job to do which is why I am not wanting to do it again (I've already done it about six times for this site so far). It's not easy, as I said, but it obviously is doable since it has been done several times already.

So, who may be seriously interested in helping to keep the site alive? Please be specific on what you are willing to do.

Thanks!

(I am user number 1, since I installed the original software for the site. My start date here was October 19, which I will consider the start of the site. So, I figure if we are going to close our doors, then we will close them on October 19 so that we can say we were around for a whole 20 years. Who woulda thought we would last that long? I know I never even thought about how long the site would last when we first created it!)

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2024-09-18, 10:35 PM
5.26 TB/857.32 GB/0.16

Re: TTD Site Savers Post Here!

Hi U2Lynne, Would financially reaching out help matters?
Old 2024-09-18, 10:44 PM
meatstick time
21.89 GB/0.00 KB/0.00

Perhaps. At a minimum please create/request a backup image of the site (.vhdx) if possible. We'd need to chat. I'll be on travels / somewhat unavailable till October 7th. Till then sunshine. Peace.
Old 2024-09-18, 11:04 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcjonz68 View Post
Hi U2Lynne, Would financially reaching out help matters?
Money isn’t the major issue here. I mean, unless someone knows someone who will upgrade the site for pay (which I would understand since it will take many hours to do).

Old 2024-09-19, 07:16 AM
TTD Staff
6.12 TB/313.92 TB/51.30

Lynne, I mentioned in a prior PM to you that a non-member (whose email addy I sent you) had expressed an interest in taking over.

If you can't find the email or need me to resend the addy, please let me know.
Old 2024-09-19, 09:46 AM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

To be clear to anyone interested in helping on the tech side, money should not be an issue.
Old 2024-09-19, 11:26 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

my buddy audioarchivist referred me here. i am more of a UX/front end developer with JAVA experience. not passionate about server or admin work at all. however i have some php / mysql experience. if you give me the right access i might be able to tell you if i am willing/able to do that side. thanks, stef
Old 2024-09-19, 12:58 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrew View Post
Lynne, I mentioned in a prior PM to you that a non-member (whose email addy I sent you) had expressed an interest in taking over.

If you can't find the email or need me to resend the addy, please let me know.
I will email him, however, from what you quoted he said, he would be interested in helping to update the code, but not necessarily run the site.

Edit: I just sent him an email.

Edit again: He may be willing to help upgrade the PHP, but is not interested in running the site at all.

Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM
TTD Staff
6.12 TB/313.92 TB/51.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
He may be willing to help upgrade the PHP, but is not interested in running the site at all.
Argh. OK.
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
1.58 TB/218.59 GB/0.14

I can't commit to helping run the site because of other volunteer activities but could provide programming help.
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM
4.87 TB/17.79 TB/3.65

I can also help out with money to keep this going

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions