The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2024-08-21, 09:58 PM
St. Stephen
177.20 GB/1.01 TB/5.83

Question Peer Connection Closed: Failed to establish outgoing connection

Hey,

At the risk of being utterly redundant, I'm trying to improve my usefulness around here, ie keep my ratio up. Since returning to activity I've been receiving far more than I've been giving.

After searching, I mostly encountered posts about improvign dl speeds, or firewall issues, which did not seem to be relevant.

Although my overall ratio doesn't, at a glance, look bad, it has steadily declined since returning to the tracker.

I'd like to make my pieces more attractive to leeching peers.

In many, if not most, cases there are peers, but they aren't connecting.

Looking at the log there are numerous instances of the message in the topic title,

"Peer connection closed: failed to establish outgoing connection. Connection attempt to IP ADDRESS aborted: timed out after 15sec;"

In other cases, the handshake is made and pieces are transferred.
Tracker Status is OK.
No NAT warning.
No firewall warning.

I know enough to look at the log, but not enough to do anything about what I see there. I'm looking to see what, if any, client settings I might tweak to improve contributions.

I mean, I /have/ had seeds reach 1:1, but those cases seem oddly rare considering the total number of peers.

Although I don't think the tracker has anything to do with it, it "appears" to be a more accute issue with TTD seeds. In roughly the same amount of time I can get a 2:1 ratio elsewhere, I get less than 50% seeding via TTD.

Yes, I imagine it's not very useful to compare different content which may vary in popularity, etc.

Is it just a symptom of overall traffic volume? Like, for example, peers on the TTD tracker have more choices of pieces in closer proximity with better bandwidth?

I saw some advice about stopping torrents from other trackers that might be leaching bandwidth, and let my client run for several hours without any connections to other trackers active. Unscientifically, that did not "appear" to make a significant impact.

I've been sticking to first page torrents, too, hoping to complete early and be there when more leechers turn up, but they all seem to pass me by.
Old 2024-08-23, 08:59 AM
Damned
153.87 GB/1.36 TB/9.05

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Do you have external IP from your ISP? If not, and/or you see "firewalled" thing below your ratio, that could be the reason. Other thing to consider - what torrent client do you use? Did you try another one? Some tiny setting might have been accidentally changed causing problem you mentioned.
Old 2024-08-24, 03:44 AM
St. Stephen
177.20 GB/1.01 TB/5.83

Re: Peer Connection Closed: Failed to establish outgoing connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by joujoujou View Post
Do you have external IP from your ISP? If not, and/or you see "firewalled" thing below your ratio, that could be the reason. Other thing to consider - what torrent client do you use? Did you try another one? Some tiny setting might have been accidentally changed causing problem you mentioned.
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

I'm not getting any "firewalled" warnings. That doesn't always mean there aren't issues.

My completely uneducated opinion is that my upstream pipe is just not very good and I'm getting passed over.

I tend to get stalled with around a 40% share, or less despite leeching peers. Overall, I have ratio to spare, but if it is constantly going down, eventually I will use up my stock from the olden days.

I've always used Vuse.... since it was called Azureus, so I just stick with that. I might try another client. That had not crossed my mind. I don't have any other issues with Vuse, though.

I have what seems to be a fairly extensive array of settings with Vuse that could be applied, if the TTD tracker preferred one thing over another, but, as I mentioned, with a different tracker I'm approaching 1:1 more quickly, and occasionally even exceeding it.

I guess it's just a gamble with regard to timing and popularity of seeds.

Take it easy
Old 2024-08-24, 04:08 AM
Damned
153.87 GB/1.36 TB/9.05

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Your ratio is very good indeed, and this very site will not punish you if your ratio drops. Anyway, I myself prefer to have decent ratio, so I understand you may have similar ambitions.

It is no harm to try another client, even portable version of qbittorrent, for example. Once you have port forwarded for it it should at least give a hint if the issue is with your client or internet connection.
Old 2024-08-24, 10:22 AM
St. Stephen
177.20 GB/1.01 TB/5.83

Re: Peer Connection Closed: Failed to establish outgoing connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by joujoujou View Post
Your ratio is very good indeed, and this very site will not punish you if your ratio drops. Anyway, I myself prefer to have decent ratio, so I understand you may have similar ambitions.

It is no harm to try another client, even portable version of qbittorrent, for example. Once you have port forwarded for it it should at least give a hint if the issue is with your client or internet connection.
Due to an issue elsewhere, I took the opportunity to clear the decks, so to speak, and the two torrents I'm seeding now have both quickly exceeded 1:1 (just), so perhaps something was just hogging bandwidth... as stated in other threads.

I'll adopt a wait and see approach for now. It may just be a case-by-case thing. Thanks for giving me sounding board.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble