The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2024-09-18, 05:33 AM
951.90 GB/2.49 TB/2.67

Re: We've had a great 20 years!

OH MY GOD I AM GOING TO MISS THIS PLACE!!!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2024-09-18, 05:53 AM
515.68 GB/1.82 TB/3.62

Hello,
would you continue if receiving $$$ from members ?
Just ask to members to send a small contribution
You should be surprised
Old 2024-09-18, 06:53 AM
TTD Staff
6.12 TB/313.73 TB/51.27

As has been said before, while offers to send money are kind and appreciated, the more pressing issue is that we need a person or persons with technical know-how to take over the running of the site itself.
Old 2024-09-18, 10:38 AM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
I've had 3 different accounts on here over time.
Old 2024-09-18, 12:38 PM
Is that a fuckin' bear?!
2.92 GB/36.16 GB/12.39

I've been only to enjoy TTD for a few years since I'm only 21, but what an amazing few years! I'm hoping for the best for the place. It's such a great hub for discovering great artists and could be part of the next stepping stone for the next generation of artists...
Old 2024-09-18, 01:47 PM
}{eywood, copyright fighter
TTD VIP
550.18 GB/2.40 TB/4.46

Location: too close to Niagara Falls to see what the big deal is

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesabman View Post
That's why I burn all my music to CD's. I've heard so many people comment over the years that they lost all their music to hard drive crashes. Put your music to CD's, then you won't have that problem.
Until 15 years from now when all your CDs have faded and they don't read anymore, or they play with tic tic tic going throughout
To enforce copyright laws is to prevent people from making peaceful use of the information they possess. If one has acquired the information legitimately it is a violation of freedom of speech to prevent one from using it, reproducing it, trading it. Information is a universal, existing in other people's minds and other people's property, and over these the originator has no legitimate sovereignty. Copyright laws extort from the public a reward enormously in excess of the labor measure of an entertainers' services, making them, in essence, discriminatory against anyone paid a single time for a job. The only way there will ever be balance is when we are either all paid ad infinitum for work we did years ago, or when they are not. Until then I will fight for the freedom of information by challenging copyright law every chance I get. Join the Pirate Party and help make a difference.
Old 2024-09-18, 03:35 PM
233.08 GB/707.94 GB/3.04

I doubt it. I take good care & store all my audio & music. Still have 8-track tapes from the 70's that play. I have CD's from 1987 that STILL play, so your 15 years up theory does not hold water.
Old 2024-09-18, 03:40 PM
346.44 GB/1.05 TB/3.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
A real bummer to know we only have two weeks left of this wonderful site. I've had 3 different accounts on here over time.
I've had the same account since Day One, but in the aftermath of moving from Georgia to Pennsylvania, I had the username changed because of one of the reasons why I moved. But yeah, in twenty years, to sum up, I worked at a grocery store (which, coincidentally, is closing after standing up to a Death Star - sorry, Walmart Supercenter - for twenty years), left the Southeast for the Northeast, met someone, married her, had three kids, divorced, changed careers (from grocery to manufacturing to remote work to department store to auto parts store), and I'm engaged to someone I met along the way. I know, in in twenty years I've not posted as much as other places, but it was fun kinda lurking around.

It's kinda sad seeing everybody saying their goodbyes. I hope somebody or a couple of somebodies step up to continue it, but it's looking doubtful.
Old 2024-09-18, 04:25 PM
732.17 GB/680.43 GB/0.93

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesabman View Post
I doubt it. I take good care & store all my audio & music. Still have 8-track tapes from the 70's that play. I have CD's from 1987 that STILL play, so your 15 years up theory does not hold water.
I'm the same way. Have had few problems over the decades.
Old 2024-09-18, 04:48 PM
910.78 GB/4.73 TB/5.32

Arrow Re: We've had a great 20 years!

Going back 20 years to when I archived all my FLAC & SHN file-sets on Taiyo Yuden discs, I have also never had a problem. BUT sadly some of the folks with whom I did snail trades (remember them?) were not so choosy about the disc media they used and some of them no longer play. It's important to store CD-Rs out of sunlight as that can speed up the deterioration, and manufactured silver CD's seem to last better than CD-Rs. YMMV.
Old 2024-09-18, 05:15 PM
233.08 GB/707.94 GB/3.04

I agree it is the TYPE of blank CD you use that matters. I forgot to mention that. I used both Sony & Maxell blank CD-R's. But since those idiots at Sony decided to discontinue blank CD's for music I use exclusively only Maxell blanks. And have had no issues with them. I buy 50 pack spindles & have yet to get a bad one. I trust Maxell products because back in the old tape trading days I always used Maxell XL II's & they ALL STILL PLAY.
Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM
10.28 TB/14.50 TB/1.41

For those interested in using a file-sharing site to send & receive stuff, I am beginning to collect email addresses. Contact me if you want to be included. This is a tribute to TTD in the hopes that the activities here can continue, albeit in a different method.

You can email me at [email protected] if you want to be included.
("paean" meaning tribute)

https://ttd-friends.wetransfer.com/
Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Since starting to accumulate CDs in 1986, I have thousands that I never play anymore. I wish I hadn't wasted so much time and $ burning CD-Rs all these years.

I did use only TY and have not had any failed discs but I never play them anymore. I load files on USB sticks for all my devices/vehicles.

I am now in the long process of replacing replacing my discs with FLACs on HDDs. Just Sunday I took 3 boxes with hundreds of officially released CDs I replaced with FLACs to a party and gave them all to friends. My brother was very happy to pick up so much Zappa he didn't have.
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
732.72 GB/7.34 TB/10.25

I had to downsize recently and didn't have space for all the commercial CD's and burned CDR's I had accumulated over the years. I kept a few that were special to me, and that I figured I would actually play again and then found a willing taker for the rest (thanks, Chris!).

Like you said...so much money spent on CDR's, jewel cases, ink and paper to print artwork, etc.. And then 99.9% of them never played. Oh, well...
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM
1.80 TB/2.08 TB/1.16

You should be proud of the great job everyone has done. Thank you for the tons of great shows, reh,ect.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions